Friday 27 September 2013

Gift of Motherhood



I was asked by my Pastor to give my Motherhood testimony at a Mother's Day service, and in preparing for what I was going to say for it, I was amazed to discover how much God has taught me over the years! 

Although my daughter has certainly brought me the greatest joy to my life, she has also been my biggest spiritual furnace!  I realise now that God knows exactly what kind of child will be our greatest refiner that will grow us into the woman He wants us to be.  He knew what buttons they would press in us and what challenges they would bring, but thankfully He also offers us His wisdom, patience and strength to be a good Mother and teaches us how to train up our children correctly. 

We may not always get it right, but I've discovered that when we are tuned into God's Holy Spirit, we will be led by an inner intuition that I believe God gives all Mother’s for this task.  It's that little 'deep-down-feeling' we get when we know that our child is too sick for school, when it is serious enough to seek a doctor or just knowing that there is something bothering them. 

One very important lesson God taught me during my daughter’s tantrum years, was that her outbursts were very often an emotion she didn't yet know how to express.  In seeking God's wisdom in every situation, I was often able to help her identify the emotion and was soon able to bring calm to the situation. 

I believe that we should view Motherhood as the gift that it is instead of a chore, and that it is God’s purpose to use our children to help us to mature and become the woman He desires us to be.   I suppose the same can be said about our spouses, but that’s another story…


No comments:

Post a Comment