Wednesday 28 January 2015

Determining your Child's Currency

As your child gets older,  you will still find plenty of situations where you will need to discipline them for purposely misbehaving.  However, the naughty step or being sent to their room only works up to a certain age.  

Following the advice from Dr Phil, I've learnt that every child has their own currency to which they will respond to the best - for some it is money, to another it's watching TV, sweets or pudding and many like mine, it's gadgets!! When my daughter has an attitude problem, is cheeky or defiant, I give her a warning that her gadgets will be removed for a 24 hour period if she doesn't change it, correct it or stop it, whatever the behaviour.  This usually works wonders, but when it doesn't, I am consistent in following through with my threat.  Depending on the severity of the 'crime', it can be all or just one of her gadgets ie phone, iPad or XBox.

I also make it clear to her that I'm not doing it to be mean, but to help her learn how to adjust her behaviour and attitude with a consequence she will feel the most, because it's her currency! I discovered very quickly that deducting pocket money has no effect on her whatsoever, but threatening and then removing her gadgets for a time, seems to work wonders.  

What is your child's currency?  What can they not live without and will be a consequence that will be most effective for them? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment